We are active in the community!
- This year an estimated 1,510 residents in Kansas and more than 3,350 residents in Missouri will be diagnosed with a blood cancer
- In a span of five years, almost 3,000 blood cancer patients in Kansas and 6,000 in Missouri will lose their battle to blood cancer
- Leukemia is the second leading cause of death among children and young adults under the age of 20.
- Every 3 minutes someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer in the US and every 9 minutes another patient loses their battle
How we help local patients
- In 2018, LLS distributed $1,166,316 to 558 patients in support of undergoing treatment through the Co-Pay Assistance Program in Kansas and Missouri.
- In 2018, LLS gave $81,000 directly to in-need patients to cover treatment-related travel costs through the Travel Assistance Program in Kansas and Missouri.
- In 2018, LLS has invested $46 million in research to advance life saving research.
We provide free Educational Programs throughout the year for patients and healthcare professionals (social workers, nurses and doctors).
- In 2018, LLS had 18 patients and caregivers participate in First Connection matches. This is a program that partners a newly diagnosed patient with a patient who has successfully undergone treatment to offer support and advice.
- We hold a Children’s Holiday Party for 100 pediatric cancer patients and their families. Each year, this party supports more than 400 individuals. Every child who attends receives a present.
- LLS advocates work for the passage of state and federal legislation to ensure patients have access to quality, affordable and coordinated care.